WELCOME TO SIERRA VISTA UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors is more than a slogan for the people of Sierra Vista. These are important values for us in our life together as a church and in carrying out God's ministry as disciples of Jesus Christ. We welcome you through open doors, minds and hearts of the people of Sierra Vista. We are blessed to worship God with you and experience fellowship together.
Much of the distinctiveness of the Methodist movement begun by John Wesley in 18th century England grows out of Wesley's insight into GRACE. Grace pervades our understanding of Christian faith and life. By grace we mean the powerful, undeserved, loving activity of God in human existence. The central act of grace is found in the gift of Jesus the Christ, God's son, our Savior.
We believe divine love surrounds all humanity This grace prompts our first wish to please God, our first glimmer of understanding concerning God's will, and our first inkling of having sinned against God. Long before we reach out to God, God is reaching out to us with love.
We believe God reaches out to the repentant believer with accepting and pardoning love. As we proclaim of faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, our relationship with God is healed and made whole through God's grace. It marks a new beginning, yet is a part of an ongoing process.
We believe faith in Christ is bound to be expressed in our relationship with others. Our love of neighbors is a natural manifestation of our love of God.
ABOUT SIERRA VISTA
Historical Note. Sierra Vista traces its roots back to the Methodist Protestant Church organized in San Angelo in 1904. In 1939, following unification of the two Methodist Episcopal churches in San Angelo, it became Bethel Methodist Church and plans were made to move to another area of town. This did not occur until 1950 when the congregation moved and changed its name to Angelo Heights Methodist Church. In 1973, the construction of the east-west portion of Loop 306 forced the congregation to seek another location. The church purchased a piece of land in southwest San Angelo located on College Hills Blvd. At the time, the property could only be accessed from Fall Creek since College Hills was a country road and stopped at Loop 306. In 1975, Sierra Vista United Methodist Church was chartered by members who moved from Angelo Heights. From the original 26 charter members in 1904, we have grown to over 1200 members.
Today, our congregation is a warm, caring community of faith, diverse in spiritual gifts and ministries, unified in spirit and love. By our prayers, our presence, our gifts, and our service we strive to live up to our mission statement.
COMMITTED TO CHRIST...GROWING IN FAITH...
MINISTERS TO EACH OTHER...DISCIPLES IN OUR WORLD.