Kids Eat Free is a program in which Sierra Vista UMC has participated since the summer of 2010, and fills a nutritional need for school age children and their families during the summer break, when nourishing lunches are no longer available in schools.
- Meals are served at Gospel Ministries to Children, in the Alta Loma
- Elementary School neighborhood, to families whose children attend Alta Loma.
- Meals are served Monday through Friday for 6 weeks, beginning after July 4.
- 5 cooking teams prepare balanced meals which include protein, fruits and vegetables, milk, dessert.
- Most meals are prepared off site, at our church, then taken to the meal site and warmed for serving. Some meats are cooked weeks ahead & frozen for heating when served.
- Teams gather to pray together before families arrive.
- Families are warmly greeted, and relationships are formed over time. Parents and children alike respond well to the friendly atmosphere.
- Summer 2015, 94 Sierra Vista UMC volunteers served 1,682 meals.
- Sierra Vista members and visitors funded all meals.
- Occasionally there are activities such as music, crafts, stories, or education.
- We’re always looking for volunteers. We have fun cooking and serving; maybe this is your niche!
For more information, contact Pam Holubec at firstname.lastname@example.org